Friday, November 7, 2014

The "Firsts" of Fall

Glorious Autumn is upon us! As such, last week I was able to indulge in a few favorite "firsts" of the season: first fire in the fireplace, first time wearing a coat, and first time wearing boots!

It just so happened as well that last week I had a little more free time than usual on my hands, and I was able to wander about the Internet--gathering inspiration from other bloggers for seasonal recipes, fashion, and even home décor. And this is where it hit me: the somber realization that my very own blog, initially masterminded to be an eclectic lifestyle share, had somehow dulled and slipped into my greatest comfort zone, focusing strictly on soups, stews and other comfort foods.  Boh-ring.

Now don't get me wrong--I'm as inclined as any other girl to snap a "duck face"selfie with my iPhone and unapologetically post it to my Facebook or Instagram...but beyond that, I'm well aware that I'm neither Beyoncé nor a Kardashian--and for that reason,  it feels awkward to place myself in front of the camera for blog illustration purposes, especially if it requires a tripod and a timer. Nonetheless, lacking a professional model and/or photographer to make the task a little easier--and in an effort to step out of my own comfort zone--here is my first fashion blog of the year (and hopefully not my last!).

Now rather than worry about whether coworkers in my very serious, corporate workplace will see this and make fun of me, I'm going to focus on what TRULY matters: basic Fall season accessories--and their power to transform a look with just a few simple switches).

To prove my point, I picked a neutral winter hue palette from which to build two different looks. I started with a pair of dark jeans and a gray knit top. Read on to see  how easily you too can transform a basic look and make it go from effortless country weekend wear to "ladies-who-lunch" city glam in seconds, with just a few key accessory modifications. 

LOOK #1: MODERN COUNTRY WEEKEND


Beef up your neutral jeans-and-sweater combo with sturdy classics for a look that's casual enough to catch up on errands during the day, but sassy enough to catch up with a friend (and a glass of wine) at your local haunt de jour.

One of my favorite wardrobe trends all year has been the cropped denim jacket. You can layer it with anything--anything!--for an instant cool, relaxed look. Just avoid pairing it with same-hued jeans. I found mine at Tahrjae (a.k.a., Target), at the bargain price of $34 USD. 

Next, you gotta have a focal color point to punctuate your look from the get-go. In this case it is a natural turquoise stone necklace in an unusual, eye-catching shade of green (Park Lane Jewelry, about $300 USD) and a large, cheeky cocktail ring in a similar green-apple hue.





Classic, unfussy footwear grounds the look: a pair of leather riding boots, knee high and minimally embellished. These ones are Bandolino, currently retailing at DSW for about $110 USD. Slip them on over chunky wool or patterned knee socks in a compatible shade for added texture and elongation. 


Last but not least, a sturdy handbag will complete your weekend look. I love, love, love my all-terrain Louis Vuitton Galliera PM bag (about $1,500 USD). Because this is the only item with a hefty price tag in this ensemble (and because I've shown excellent restraint so far), I indulged and threw in one of my fave LV charms for flair. 



This little amber honey bee will set you back about $600 USD (I know, right?!?!) but it looks SO perfect with this bag. Of course, my husband will never understand why these silly charms are almost as expensive as the bag itself--as neither will yours (so why try). 

LOOK #2: MONOCHROMATIC URBAN GLAM










Let's shift gears now to a more urban, "daily grind" type of setting--using our same dark jeans and basic gray sweater as foundation. Here's where a peacoat will come in extremely handy.

Peacoats are a quintessentially chic and versatile autumn wardrobe piece. This one, by Jessica Simpson, is lightweight and shapely enough to double as a blazer on cool fall days when you're running around town and behind schedule, and the last thing you need is the burden of a bulky coat. 


While traditional peacoats are usually navy blue, this pearly-gray hue gives it an updated feel and stretches its indoor/outdoor versatility. On sale for only $99 USD at Nordstrom Rack, this one was a bargain I simply could not pass up when its frothy texture caught my eye a couple weeks ago. 

As for the shoes and bags, and keeping with the urban theme, a suede ankle bootie and an ample all-purpose tote contribute to a sleek silhouette. Monochrome attire schemes help elongate and create the illusion of slender proportions--as a bonus, the streamlined platform booties add height, and the oversized bag makes a girl of average proportion like myself look smaller by comparison. Throw some sunglasses on top of your head, and you've just added another extra inch of height--and Euro-style sophistication. 

These booties are Michael Kors, from the brand's Fall 2013 collection (See? I recycle!) and the handbag is Louis Vuitton's Artsy MM, retailing currently for $1,980.00 USD (at least this one comes with its own built-in charm thingie).



And speaking of bargains, let's move on to the bling. Here's another Tahr-jae find, this one costing just $24.99 USD. 


Bejeweled statement necklaces are trending right now as another must-have this season. Turns out that what you'd typically expect to see on a red carpet works surprisingly well with your everyday solids, especially simple knits and business-casual wear. And with sparkly winter holidays quickly approaching, these babies couldn't possibly be any more timely. By sheer definition, these pieces are made to go from day into evening, perfect for whenever an after-hours business event pops up on your Outlook calendar at the last minute. Yet in the board room, they can look fresh and business-appropriate--if pulled off with confidence and paired with minimalist restraint, plus solid monochromatic color schemes that help quiet the loudness of the bling. 

Moral of the story (also known as "tips"):
  • All you need to transform a look are four components: (1) a jacket layer; (2) a statement necklace; (3) unfussy go-with-everything footwear, and (4) a quality handbag. 
  • Monochromatic schemes help pull any look together and help slenderize your silhouette--think out of the box and play with neutral hues beyond the same-old, same-old predictable "all black" getup. 
  • You can make a budget look seem expensive all-around by investing in one high-end branded accessory. The designer handbag is a no-brainer--if you're on a tight budget, find one in a style you can wear almost every day to justify the investment. 



But enough about me--time to focus on you. What are your favorite fashion firsts of fall?











1 comment:

  1. The perks of fashion sense only compliments the beauty that is you, inside and out!! Hollywood has nothing on you!!

    ReplyDelete