Thursday, September 20, 2012

Ode to the Insalata Caprese


I thought it fitting for my inaugural post to ask myself what would be the one meal I would be happy to eat every day if stranded on a deserted island. That meal for me would be Insalata Caprese--a lovely sensory collaboration of flavors, textures, colors and fragrances that capture Mediterranean sunshine on a plate.

Depending on where you go, the plating and presentation may vary...but the core ingredients never change: sweet, sun ripened tomatoes, luxurious fresh buffalo mozzarella and aromatic basil leaves--drizzled with just the right amount of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and, of course, sea salt.

One of my fave ways to re-interpret this iconic salad dish is to use extra-sweet Campari tomatoes and build mini-Napoleons, tucking in the whole basil leaves as shown in the picture below. The result are bite-sized proportions that translate into manageable, elegant little cocktail party appetizers. For a more filling meal, I turn my Caprese into a sandwich--nestling the cheese, tomato and basil between between slices of a warm baguette loaf and drizzling the olive oil and balsamic right onto the crusty bread.

And let's not forget the healthy points a Caprese scores from a nutritional standpoint, especially if made with organic-grade components. Loaded with antioxidants, "good" cholesterol, and low-calorie protein, this may very well be The Perfect Meal.


1 comment:

  1. Well, look who's finally blogging!! Sandra, I have secretly hoped for sometime now that you would marry your beautiful photography with your love of food and fashion and here it is.. And it is gorgeous!! What more fitting day for your inaugural blog..perhaps you had a tiny cosmic nudge :-) Cant wait to see what the CGPQ has "brewing" (hehe) I'll most definitely be tuning in!! Kudos, Sandra!

    ReplyDelete